Knight Training

Knight Training

Personal Licence Courses

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to expand it and display the answer.

To sell alcohol legally you need to be, or be authorised by, a Personal Licence Holder on a Licensed Premises. The Personal Licence Holder can either be the Designated Premises Supervisor, senior managers or staff members, or other staff members. A Licensed Premises can either operate on a full-Licence, occasional licence or Temporary Events Notice.

A Personal Licence is issued to an individual who wishes to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol. To obtain one your need to undertake, and pass, the Licence Holders Course (or Scottish equivalent) and gain the required qualification. Once completed, you then need to submit a valid Application to your local Authority.

A Personal Licence Holder must be over 18, have the right to work in the UK, no unspent, relevant convictions, or had a Licence revoked in the last 5 years, and have passed the course, you may hold a Personal Licence. Non-UK residents may hold a Licence, as long as they have right to work in the UK.

The quick answer is: yes! Our Courses, once completed & passed, will gain you a Level 2 Award in Personal Licence Holders. They are issued by either the British Institute of Innkeeping Awarding Body (BIIAB) or Training Qualifications UK (TQUK). These are accredited certificates, universally accepted by all local Authorities in England, Wales & Scotland and required to gain a Personal Licence.

We regularly hold the Personal Licence Course throughout the UK. Depending on where you are, we can usually find a venue close by to attend. Please see our Locations page to find your closest. Alternatively, if cannot attend one of these courses, or would simply prefer a different method, we can also hold Private One to One Courses, where a Trainer would come to you.

This depends on where the Licence is issued. In England & Wales a Personal Licence does not expire and will be granted indefinitely, unless revoked by the Issuing Authority. In Scotland, Licences have to be re-issued every 10 years and Refresher Training undertook every 5 years.

The different between is a Personal Licence is issued to an individual, to authorise the sale of alcohol, and a Premises Licence is issued to a particular property, or area, to carry out Licensable Activities (such as the sale of alcohol or late-night refreshment). A Premises Licence is a different process, though still a legal one, which includes consultation with your relevant Authorities (e.g. the Police & Environmental Health).

Depending on what your plans are, whether opening a new business, expanding your product range, gaining promotion diversifying in to the hospitality and alcohol-retailing industry, we have a number of useful training courses & products to suit. If you would like to have a conversation to go over your specific needs, please just call 0330 999 3199 / 01524 917046 to speak with one of our advisors, or alternatively see the footer of this website for more contact details such as email and address.

Knight TrainingKnight Training
1-3-4 The Barracks
White Cross Business Park
South Road - Lancaster - LA1 4XQ
Company Number: 07584714
© (2021) Knight Training