Personal licences are essential for any business selling alcohol, and having your own personal licence can improve your chances of climbing career ladders in restaurants, bars, pubs, nightclubs, and any retail business which sells alcohol.

Rising even as high as a shift leader is easier if you can be legally responsible for the sale of alcohol during that shift, after all.

But we’ve found that while most of our visitors know about personal licences, they don’t necessarily know much about preparing. So here are five things we’ve noticed that not enough people understand about the personal licence.

5. Personal Licences Only Apply in Limited Areas

Personal alcohol licences are granted by local authorities, not by a national organisation. So while you have to live up to the same set of standards anywhere in England and Wales (and a different set throughout Scotland), you still have to apply in the area you’re looking to work in.

As with a lot of issues overseen by local authorities, it’s worth making sure you know how they operate and if they’re often slow to process applications.

4. Drink Driving Charges Can Affect Your Chances

There is a small set of ‘relevant offences’ which the licensing authority may consider during the application. Having ‘unspent’ drink driving charges – charges from the last 5 years or so – can result in your application being refused.

3. To Work as a Landlord A Premises Licence is Also Needed

There’s a minor urban myth at low levels of the pub industry – the belief that a personal licence ‘replaced’ the old pub licence and is complete on its own. Any location which routinely sells alcohol for consumption on the premises requires a premises licence, just as events venues may need to apply for a major variation licence or temporary event notice.

For employees of larger organisations, this may be taken care of for you (which is probably how the misunderstanding got started in the first place) but anyone working independently will need to organise this for themselves.

2. Keep Your Personal Licence Safe

There’s no requirement to display a personal licence in the workplace, even if it belongs to the DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor) for the shift. However, it should be kept safe and handy, as licencing authority officials or law enforcement officers wanting to see it should have easy access.

1. You Have to Qualify for a Personal Licence

It comes as a surprise to a lot of people, but before you can apply for a personal licence, you need an appropriate qualification. In England and Wales, this is the APLH Level 2 while Scotland has the SCPLH Certificate.

We’re experienced in working with clients to prepare them for these exams. If you’re concerned, why not contact us today?